Sunday, July 14, 2013

Southern Pecan Pie

In the words of Zac Brown Band, "and that's home you know, sweet tea, pecan pie and homemade wine, where the peaches grow, and my house it's not much to talk about, but it's filled with love that's grown in southern ground". 

I can close my eyes and imagine myself 10 years from now. I want my kids to always want to come home for dinner, because their momma's cooking is just that good. The kitchen counter and dining room table will always be a place to revisit the day, or memories of a special time. But also to keep it real. And how real can you get when you can't cook a pecan pie and you live in the south? So...I took it upon myself to make my dear friend Tami's favorite pecan pie recipe. Oh, and Tami? I did good, girl! Come on over and share a piece with me, we can sit on my deck. 

Tami's Favorite Pecan Pie
(courtesy of Southern Living magazine)



Ingredients:

1/2 cup butter
1 cup sugar
1 cup light corn syrup
4 eggs, beaten
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 unbaked 9-inch pie shell
1-1 1/4 cup pecan halves


Combine butter, sugar and corn syrup in a saucepan. Cook over low heat, stirring constantly, until sugar dissolves. Let cool slightly.

Beat eggs in a mixer, add to mixture.

Put pie shell into pie pan, be sure to press a fork into the shell, all around, so it cooks through and doesn't become mushy!


Pour mixture into unbaked pie shell, top with pecan halves.


Bake at 325 degrees for 50 to 55 minutes. My trick is to wrap the pie crust with aluminum foil so it doesn't burn.


Serve warm or cold.


Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Do you have food for thought?